There is nothing better than the sweetness of an apple paired with delicious aromatic spices. The combination is truly one of my favorites. Actually I think my favorite part of any crisp, crumble or pie is the warmth of the pie with a good fashioned scoop of vanilla ice cream. And in this Apple Crumble, I add Lentil.
I have had a delicious apple crumble that has been my go-to for the last year or so. It’s grain-free and refined-sugar-free and I didn’t think it could be any better.
It’s not very often that you see lentils in an apple crumble, so I thought, why not.
Lentils are packed full of protein and fiber, not usually something you find in a desert, but now you can.
So how do you incorporate lentils into a crumble? Actually it’s pretty easy and I’ll tell you how.Print
Apple Crumble with Lentil
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Canadian
- 1 cup red split lentils
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4–5 apples
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup crunchy lentils
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Start by making your crunchy lentils, pour lentils, apple juice and water in a pot. Bring to a boil, simmer until done, about 15-20 mins.
- Pour lentils into a strainer and give a quick rinse.
- Spread the lentils onto a cookie sheet. Lightly sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg over lentils. Bake in the oven for 10 mins, stir, bake 5-10 more mins.
- Drizzle maple syrup over lentils, stir and bake a couple more mins. You want the lentils to be on the verge of crispy.
- Next slice apples and place in frying pan with butter, maple syrup and cinnamon. Saute apples until tender. Place in a baking dish or ramequins.
- Combine crispy lentils, almond flour, maple syrup and nutmeg in a bowl, mix thoroughly. The mixture should look “crumbly”.
- Top apple filling with the crumble mixture, top with a few more sprinkles of lentils and bake in the oven for 10-15 mins or until crumble is crispy and begins to brown.
- Top with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!
Keywords: Apple Crumble