This classic meatloaf recipe calls for ground beef and lots of healthy vegetables. What is meatloaf? It’s a mixture of ground meat and other ingredients such as onions and carrots. It is shaped into a loaf and baked in the oven.
Meatloaf of minced meat was mentioned in the Roman cookery collection Apicius as early as the 5th century.
Meatloaf is a traditional German, Scandinavian and Belgian dish, and it is a cousin to the Dutch meatball. Classic Meatloaf Recipe is famous in Europe.
American meatloaf has its origins in cookbooks in the late 19th century. This is a mixture of ground pork and cornmeal served by German-Americans in Pennsylvania since colonial times.
Classic Meatloaf Recipe
- 1.5 pounds beef
- 1 egg
- 4 mushrooms
- 0.5 red bell pepper
- 0.5 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stick celery
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, and Italian herbs
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 drop hot sauce
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Chop and mix together mushrooms, red bell pepper, onion, carrot and a stick of celery.
- Combine this mixture with cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, and Italian herbs.
- Add beef, an egg, breadcrumbs and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 356 F (180 C).
- While this is cooking, make a glaze from ketchup, hot sauce, Dijon mustard, and sugar.
- Pour over the loaf and bake for 40 minutes.