This recipe is sushi with brown rice. Brown rice is considered more healthy. It has a slightly different taste. Try brown rice for your favorite dishes.
Brown Rice Inari Sushi
Sushi is practically a national pastime in Japan. Delicate fish served in the raw coupled with a slightly sweet vinegared rice. This dish usually makes with white rice, although sometimes have made and served brown rice sushi.
- 3 cups brown rice
- 4½ cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 12 aburaage (fried tofu pouches) they should be about 2 x 3-inches – if large, cut in half
- 1 cup Kombu Dashi
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- Cook the rice in the water according to the basic instructions.
- Make sushi vinegar with the 1 tablespoon mirin, the sea salt, and vinegar, and adding it to the rice.
- To make the seasoned aburaage (fried tofu pouches) place the age pouches along with the konbu stock, 2 tablespoons mirin, soy sauce, and sweetener in a pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the age pouches have absorbed the flavor.
- Let cool before handling. Remove the age pouches from the remaining liquid.
- Split open into pockets. Fill each pouch with sushi rice.