This Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Peanut Sauce recipe is really delicious. Everything is baked in a foil parcel so you didn’t have to dirty your stovetop.
The baked chicken is really delicious. The creamy nutty sauce has a lot of complex flavors. It is the combination of peanut butter, honey, vinegar and spices (ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes). It reminds me of the Indonesian Gado Gado dish.
Halfway through cooking I actually realized I did not use any oil as per the original recipe. But that did not jeopardize the dish at all. So I have written down my amended version of the recipe as below. I did not use any cooking oil nor had rice vinegar in my pantry. I hope you enjoy making this Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Peanut Sauce recipe as much as I did.Print
Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Indonesian
- 1/4 cup unsalted natural creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus additional for garnish
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (more if you like it spicy)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 350 g green beans, trimmed and chopped into half
- 1/2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch chunks
- 4 baby potatoes, peeled and quartered into 1/2-inch in size
- 1 red onion, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 500 g boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Soak the baby potatoes in salted water for at least 15 minutes before assembling the dish. When ready to cook, discard the water and pat the potatoes dry.
- Preheat grill to medium-high or preheat oven to 180ºC.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together peanut butter, milk, vinegar, 2 tbsp cilantro, honey, lime juice, ginger, soy sauce, pepper flakes and garlic. Add the chicken meat into the mixture and coat well. Set aside.
- Cut 4 12 x 16-inch pieces of foil. Start by placing the vegetables on the bottom of the foil – divide green beans, sweet potatoes, baby potatoes and onion evenly into the center of each piece of foil.
- Then the layer of chicken – divide chicken and peanut butter mixture between foil pieces, over top vegetables. Bring the short edges of the foil together, then fold inward a few times along each long edge to seal.
- Place foil packets directly on the grill or on a large, rimmed baking sheet in the oven. Grill or bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender.
- Carefully open a single packet to check, then reseal if needed.
- Transfer contents of packets to serving bowls and garnish with additional cilantro. Serve hot with white rice.
Make sure to dice potatoes no larger than directed, as they should cook through in the same amount of time as the chicken.
Keywords: Chicken with Sweet Potatoes, Chicken