With a creamy homemade cheese sauce, this delicious white cheddar chicken pasta has become one of our favorite chicken and pasta dishes.
Dinner can be the hardest time of the day when everyone is tired and hungry. For how fancy this pasta looks, it’s actually really quick and easy to put together! Cutting the chicken into pieces before cooking makes it cook a lot faster – if you start it at the same time as the pasta, they can be finished at about the same time! And then the sauce is whipped up in just a few minutes.
- PASTA. Cook pasta as directed on the box.
- CHICKEN. Meanwhile, cook chicken and seasonings in a saucepan with olive oil until the pieces are cooked through.
- SAUCE. Make the sauce in a separate pan by melting butter, whisking in flour, adding garlic and then milk. Once the sauce thickens, add the cheese and stir until it is melted.
- COMBINE. Add chicken and pasta to the sauce and mix well to combine. Sprinkle on the thyme and oregano and top with grated Parmesan to serve.
What cheeses are in Delicious White Cheddar Chicken Pasta? You can buy the prepackaged cheese mix. However, you can make your own mix. Use equal amounts of Vermont white cheddar, sharp cheddar, and mild cheddar cheese. Finely shred each type of cheese, toss together in a bowl and add to the sauce.
Delicious White Cheddar Chicken Pasta
For the chicken
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 in pieces
- 1 TB fresh thyme
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
For the pasta
- 1 lb fusilli pasta or rotini
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 TB flour
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 c milk
- 1 c shredded triple cheddar cheese
- 2 TB fresh thyme
- 1 TB oregano
- 1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta as directed on the box to al dente.
- While pasta is cooking, add oil to a pan and add chicken pieces. Sprinkle on thyme, salt, and pepper and cook until chicken is cooked through.
- In a separate pan, add butter and melt on medium heat. Once melted, add flour and whisk together. Add garlic and cook for a few minutes, followed by the milk. Cook until the sauce thickens and then add cheese and stir to melt.
- Then, add chicken pieces and pasta to the sauce and mix until well combined. Sprinkle on thyme and oregano. Top with grated Parmesan cheese and serve warm.