Pickled cucumbers in an oak barrel
We carefully wash the barrel under cold water, wipe the inner surface and rub it with fresh garlic. Especially carefully do this with the ends of the barrel. Garlic protects wet wood from the mold.Cucumbers should be soil (not greenhouse), preferably just plucked, no larger than 7-9 cm (about 3 in) in length. In a 10 liter (2.6 gallons) barrel 4 or 4.5 kg of cucumbers of this size.
- 10 lb cucumbers 4.5 kg
- 7 oz dill stalks and umbrellas 3% by weight of cucumbers
- 3 heads garlic
- 2 сhilli pepper hot or semi-hot
- parsley leaves, black currant leaves, oak leaves 1% by weight of cucumbers
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp Mustard Peas
- 1 tbsp Coriander Peas
- 5-6 horseradish leaves
- 1 tbsp allspice
- 1.3 gallons clean water
- 10 oz salt 6 % by weight of water
- Cucumbers are pre-poured and kept for 2-3 hours in ice water. You can create these conditions with crushed ice. Cooling cucumbers are necessary if we want to get a special crunch cucumber. Use only clean drinking water.
- Add in clean water – (1.3 gallons) salt (10 oz)
- Put at the bottom of the barrel the leaves of horseradish. Proportionately add some seasoning. On the seasoning lay out the first layer of cucumbers, placing them strictly vertically. Insert hot peppers in the middle. On the top again lay out the leaves of horseradish, sprinkle some of all seasoning with mustard and coriander peas.
- On top again lay out cucumbers. Again, insert the pepper. Well, and so on. The last layer of cucumbers laid horizontally. The distance from the surface of the last row of cucumbers with seasonings to the edge of the barrel should be at least 2 inches. It is necessary for the brine to confidently cover the entire contents of the barrel.
- Carefully pour the brine to a level of 1 inch to the edge of the barrel.
- This is the main stage of obtaining fermented vegetables, consisting of a preliminary period and main fermentation.
- The preliminary period is a temperature in the room of 70 F (21 C), the sour time is 40 hours. At this time, you need to remove the white foam.
- The main fermentation is in my refrigerator 50 F – 45 days. Every 10 days you need to remove small moldy formations from the surface of the brine, as well as wipe the edges of the barrel and rub it with garlic.
- If the brine evaporates, you can add a barrel of salted (6 %) water.