Stir fry asparagus with prawns is a very tasty Malaysian spring dish. Asparagus is abundant in the Spring season so I’m definitely not missing every opportunity to utilize it in my cooking.
In this recipe, asparagus is in an Asian-style stir fry method with prawn and sambal belachan.
- 2 bunches of asparagus (cut to 4 or 5cm lengths)
- about 5 medium-sized prawns (remove shell with tail intact, devein)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped finely)
- 30 ml of warm water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon of sambal belachan (ready-made chilli with shrimp paste)
- 1 teaspoon of light soya sauce
- a pinch of salt and dash of white pepper powder
Steps for stir fry asparagus with prawns
- Heat oil in a wok on high heat. Saute garlic till beginning to brown. Stir with the belachan. Fry till fragrant.
- Add prawns and stir till begins to turn red. Add asparagus and seasoning.
- Stir well and add water. Cover lid for 30 seconds to a minute. Check to ensure that the dish does not dry out. Add a little bit more water if it is dried out.
- Asparagus should be cooked in less than 2 minutes with just a little gravy to keep the dish moist. Serve hot.